AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Saturday 17 March 2012

A year or two with the Joys of Recovery


In the mid 1990s I attended the Joys of recovery group in London for 1-2 years. My sponsor, who was a member of the group, insisted that I attend each week while we worked through the Steps. Though I was largely uncritical at the time, taking them and their practices at face value, some things did jar and stick in my memory.

Firstly, there seemed to be some kind of order of sharing: To share from the ‘body of the hall’ you had to raise your hand (like at school) and then be selected by the secretary. Each week the meeting would be attended by maybe 100 people, and there was no shortage of hands in the air when the opportunity arose to share. However, it was generally the same people who were picked, and, what’s more, they seemed to be chosen in pretty much the same order each week - first would come the grand old sponsors, then their sponsees, and so on down the chain. During the time I attended this meeting there were three secretaries, so you might expect them to have different ‘favourites,’ but this was not so, they all seemed to follow the same pattern.

The Joys of Recovery are fairly well known for a very upbeat style of sharing. Generally I found this unobjectionable except when any lone voice shared doubt, pain or confusion. This would inevitably be followed by an orgy of cross-talk, which was painful to hear. I vividly remember the harrowed look in one victim’s eyes when they hurried away at the end. They say ‘you never leave a meeting feeling worse than you went in.’ I doubt that was always true at the Joys of Recovery.

Regarding sharing: of particular interest to me was the subject of ‘what happened,’ as in ‘what it was like, what happened, and what it’s like now.’ Hearing AAs tell of the pivotal moments in their lives has been a privilege. I regard very highly the sharing of those lucid-moments, interventions, prayers, meetings, twists of fate, conversations and various rock-bottoms that lead us away from alcoholic drinking and into sobriety. It’s remarkable just how unique such things can be. At the Joys, though, there was an unusual degree of similarity in these shares. Each individual’s story seemed to centre around the phrase ‘and then I got a sponsor.’ Before finding a sponsor, life had been awful for them and after, life was wonderful. Before long I found it a bit spooky.

Sponsorship wasn’t just to be talked about. Each week, for the first few weeks of attending, I was asked at least once if I had a sponsor. My answer was always yes. However on one occasion a long-standing member of the group pointed out that a sponsor should be of a certain kind and suggested I might like to choose a new one. He only relented after being told who my sponsor was (a member of the group).

And what was my sponsor like? I count myself fortunate that: 1. I was already rooted in my own little corner of AA. 2. he was a fairly junior member of the group and not much longer sober than me. I suspect these factors mellowed his approach, as he wasn’t as extreme as many. Even so, I had to attend the group each week; Step Three was to be done with him, using the prayer in the Big Book, and on our knees; and Step Five was for his ears only. If memory serves, he always referred to his methods as ‘the Big Book way,’ even when his suggestions bore only a loose resemblance to those in the Big Book.

And myself? Well, I was sober before ever attending the Joys and have stayed sober since. There seems to be no shortage of meetings like the Joys of Recovery these days, but I rarely attend them - not more than once, anyway. Which is fine for me, but what of newcomers? There may be some good news here. A counsellor friend told me that most of her clients were burnt out ex-Joys members, who needed help to get over the experience. It’s an ill wind that blows no-one no good!


MH”


Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

PS. Our thanks to our contributor